The Nobilis shall not love
— The Windflower Law
This law serves not to prevent love but to criminalize it and make it surreptitious. Powers may only love in secret, and must live in fear that Entropy and his minions will discover their love. Many hate Entropy for this, while others close their hearts against love and pretend the law is just.
Love is a lie: it claims to be beauty, but there are no lovers in Heaven.
Love is a weakness: it gives the Excrucians a possible hold on a Power’s soul.
Eternal love will outlive Creation…but nothing can or will.
Ephemeral love is not love at all.
Therefore love is a lie, a weakness, and a contradiction.
- Entropy prohibits love because he knows (fears) it will lead to a dereliction of duty and thus the fall of creation.
- Entropy most likely did it because he knew it was a rule that would not be followed. Making such a rule allows him to punish those who violate it, or to let people off as a favor which must be returned.
- The Windflower law isn’t there to be a law, exactly, but to be an excuse. Lord Entropy knows stamping love out engenders corruption and pain and is unlikely to actually succeed.
- Love is part of the whole prophecy about Lord Entropy being the one on whom the fate of the world hinges.
- To follow-up with some of the Norse connections – In the Ring, Alberich forswears love to gain power.
- The Windflower law (like the other laws) is a framework for story. By singling out love it makes love important in any story. As we have a Power (and Imperator) of Love that makes it doubly so.
- By placing Love with a Wild Lord, we say that Love is a force from slightly outside of the Creator’s intent. This makes it doubly interesting.
- Love is, because of the Windflower law, an act of rebellion. Marjorie is a brave knight, sworn to duty to love against the evil of Lord Entropy who would deny love.
- Love drives story, often by making trouble.
- This game is between two people. It is natural that some of the thoughts and feelings on that will reflect their ways into various themes.
- Just what is love. With differentiation being an active force, and Marjorie often identifying as the Power of Ardent Love, that means that there are other Loves out there, though perhaps not enNobled on earth.
- The Infringement Scenario